Sunday, July 11, 2010

Haven't I a Son?

When you talk of your child,
And tell me what he's done,
And talk gives way to silence
Haven't I a son?

When I see yours with others,
As they play and jump and run,
While my own sits all alone
Haven't I a son?

When I see your family
Engaged in children's fun
While my own must do his work,
Haven't I a son?

When you talk of youth in progress
Though my son's has scarcely begun,
I sink inside my self to wonder
"Haven't I a son?"

I hear you tell his troubles
As if he's the only one.
My heart aches as it cries,
"Haven't I a son?"

When you wait for my reply,
But silence can only stun.
These words are stuck within my mouth:
Haven't I a son?

And when the weight of truth
Presses me like a ton
I sit alone at night to cry,
"Haven't I a son?"

4 comments:

Heather and Thomas Mann said...

That was beautiful put and heartbreaking. I am sad for all those who miss out on the chance to know and love your son!

Valerie said...

Sounds like something that should be published! Of course you aren't alone with your feelings and others would love to hear the poem too.

I know we can't understand what it's like to be Avi's parent and all of the joys and heartache that come with it, but we love you all!!!

Tiff :o) said...

You are such a gifted poet, Jared. I'm sorry Avi's autism makes you feel different, seperate. Avi is usch a loveable boy and I'm glad I get to know him...and your whole family of course.

Terry Family said...

What a beautiful poem, Jared. I loved it -- it made me cry. I think that every parent with a child with Autism has asked that same question, "Haven't I a son?"

Related Posts with Thumbnails