Avi and I appeared very briefly on the local news this week. This appearance fits in perfectly with the new year. How? Well, my appearance on the news led me to a New Years Resolution:
"Don't ever appear on TV again!"
There are several reasons to avoid TV cameras.
1. I was terribly, terribly nervous.
2. I sounded like an idiot.
3. My voice should NOT be preserved for posterity.
4. After watching the clip a coworker looked at me and said, "You look cross eyed."
5. My own brother teases me about being, "Shaky voiced."
6. My coworkers in the emergency room seem to think I owe them ice cream for being on TV. (I don't understand either!)
Yeah, I'll stick to anonymity.
So, here's to one New Year's resolution that will be pretty easy to accomplish!
As for the Wakefield study, the most upsetting part of the entire thing is the fact that this study fueled the guilt that many parents feel. Then there is the fact that the limited resources available for autism research have been deliberately diverted away from other studies that could have actually found the cause.